Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Text messaging

My daughter loves to bend (and ignore) the rules of the house.  Last week she went on a school sponsored road trip and took my cell phone because the kids cell phone battery was close to dying.  While she was away, she texted a young man.  My wife and I don't want her to text because she really is too young to be texting.

Yesterday I was driving home and I got a text message.  The message came in at 10:55PM and had the following message:

"(Daughter's name)!  Are you still awake?"

I was a bit annoyed that this young boy was texting my daughter at such a late hour.  I could ignore it, but that would mean that he would end up doing it again.  I wanted him to know that this wasn't my daughter's cell phone, so I sent the following text back five minutes later:

"This is (daughter's name) dad and I am still awake."

I sent it back and no response, which is what I was hoping for.

My daughter went to school today and her friend told her about the incident.  I don't think that will happen again.  Yeah, I know.  I'm a mean Dad.  She can get her own cell phone and text to her heart's content when she leaves and goes to college.

No comments: