Sunday, April 10, 2011

You know you're a nerd when...

...you order your SECOND DSL line for your house.  Yep.  It is true.  Last week I ordered a second DSL line for my house.  Why?  Well, I work from home and I like to duplicate customer issues with my resources.  So, in the spirit of wanting to be able to duplicate issues without messing up my own Internet access, I decided that getting a second instance of DSL for troubleshooting purposes would be in order.

I also want to put together a VMWare ESXi server.  I found some cool stuff (this list will really show off my geekiness)

  • ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5690 SSI EEB 3.61 Dual 8/12 Core AMD Opteron 6000 series Server Motherboard
  • AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor
  • Lots of RAM
  • Lots of hard drive space

Out of curiosity, I priced the above components (and a few other things) and I could put together this VMWare ESXi server for about $1,500.  For a very brief moment I seriously entertained the idea.  I like building stuff (putting together a new computer system) and this would be a fun project.  Then reality set in and I remembered the promise that I made to my wife (no more new debt).  With the price of gasoline, food and other things going up, my "project" would have to be funded by American Express, VISA, Mastercard or Discover and I opted for none of the above.  We have lots of expenses coming in the next several months, so building a new work "toy" would not be advantageous.  Yes, it would be cool.  And yes, it would be very nice to have with my line of work, but I'm tired of subsidizing my work environment through my own wallet.  Years ago I used to do that.  I don't any more.

No comments: