Friday, May 7, 2010

Welcome to middle age!

I've been telling everyone I see that yesterday I "officially" became middle aged.  So what do I mean by that?  And what set off that comment?

A couple of weeks ago I went to the optometrist to have my eyes examined.  He said that I could probably get away without the use of bifocals for another couple of years.  But I've had problems seeing small print, so I ordered progressives and a pair of sun glasses with a prescription in them.  Yesterday I picked up my new eyes.  Wow.  It is amazing to "see" yet again.  I just hate the period of time needed for your eyes to adjust to a new prescription and so that I can learn to use progressives.

I remember when I was a kid, "old people" had bifocals.  Does that now mean that I'm old?  Compared to someone younger than a teenager, probably so.  Compared to retired people, I'm still young.  Hence, I'm middle aged.  Nice.  I feel like I'm a teenager again without all the goofy hormonal and pubescent changes that occur.

One of the things that I've found is that things that I like doing, I really like doing when I have time to do them.  I have an old Honda dirt bike courtesy of my wealthy sister.  A couple of friends and I are going on a bike/ATV ride up to some radio antennas at the top of a mountain tomorrow.  I'd love to do the journey on my own, but I feel that it would be a lot safer to ride up there with at least one other person.  I haven't spent much time in the seat of a dirt bike lately (I rode an XR75 a lot when I was young), so the companionship is welcome.  I've even looked at possibly picking up another bike or an ATV.  But those machines are expensive and I'm still paying off the excesses of my 20s and 30s.  For now, I'll enjoy what I've got.  Even though I am now, officially "middle-aged".

No comments: