Saturday, March 13, 2010

Gall bladder surgery - 22 days and counting

It has been three weeks since I had my gall bladder removed.  And how am I doing?  My answer is, "Why didn't I do this sooner?"  :-)  Seriously, though, it hasn't been all that bad.  The worst part was the first week.  I wasn't in pain, but I wasn't comfortable.  The second week I felt quite a bit better and this week I'm even better.

So any side effects?  Some.  The bowels can get a little loose at times.  But it hasn't been too bad.  I'm still taking it somewhat easy on the food that I eat.  I've been trying to eat lots of greens (salads and the like) and I've been venturing into some other foods.  So we'll see what happens.

This week I also started to exercise.  I got on the treadmill and went slow.  It was good.  It is amazing how much better you feel once you exercise.  And this is no different.  So life is getting back to "normal".

1 comment:

A Paperback Writer said...

Congrats!
I had an emergency gall bladder removal in June of 2004. I still have three scars: one in the navel, one right under the sternum, and a tiny one on the right side of my stomach. As one friend said after seeing the scars, "It looks like a cat walked across you while you were sunbathing."
I had my surgery on a Wednesday, just before the end of school, so, that following Monday, I had to drive out to school, do all my grades, and clean everything out of my classroom before I moved to Scotland for the next year. I remember having to be really, really careful lifting all that stuff in and out of my car trunk.
I also remember that the hardest part of all was getting out of bed because I couldn't sit up from a lying position. I settled on sliding out to my knees then standing up from there for a few days.

Good luck as you heal up!